tisdag, juni 07, 2005

Fierce Gardening

What kind of animal is about the size and color of a rugby ball, has no discernable ears, is kind of shlubby and chubby and not very toned, is neither a cat, a rabbit, a raccoon, nor a rat, and sneaks into my city yard after dinner to eat my plants?

Whatever it is, it gives me the creeps. I feel invaded. It is coming from the back meeting place of three garages where the fences don't connect. This means that I, still the lone head of the household, must

go to home depot
buy wire mesh
replace a broken staple gun
and probably a stake or something to drive into the ground to prevent burrowing or whatever it does to beat fencing
and go back into the far corner of my yard to face mutant mosquitos and crawl spaces and who knows what else.

And what if instead of fencing it out, I fence it in? There is a reason I live in the city. Vermin are either small or life size. These I am familiar with. What the heck is this hedgehog or platypus or baby muskox or whatever it is doing sneaking about? And it is sneaking about. I go out, it runs away. I disappear for a bit, and it returns. If I fence it in by mistake, will it attack?

"Who has a bb gun?" I ask my daughters.
No answer.
"Ok, who has a real gun?" I try.

"A real gun?" one replies. "You are going to shoot a little groundhog with a gun? You are going to shoot a little groundhog with a gun because it is eating your flowers?"

Well. No. If you put it that way.

6 Comments:

Blogger Bill said...

Sounds like a woodchuck (a/k/a groundhog). They are pretty resourcefull, even if they don't get to the gym very often. You might try chili powder-- they favor bland, like Englishmen.

11:18 fm  
Anonymous Anonym said...

Have you ever seen Asparagus this BIG
They grow up to 15in long and 2in wide.
asparagus

4:22 em  
Anonymous Anonym said...

Nice job on your blog! I am book marking your site for future reference.

I have recently created a control gardening pest
site/blog. It pretty much covers control gardening pest related stuff.

Stop by and check it out if you have time.

11:13 em  
Anonymous Anonym said...

Vegetables are great, but the Heart Start Defibrillator is better (At saving your life, that is ;) ).

1:10 fm  
Anonymous Anonym said...

**HYDROPONICS**

1:38 fm  
Blogger Stan said...

Do you want to grow your own House Plants, Flowers, Trees and Shrubs for FREE....Grow them to landscape your yard, grow them for fun and for profit....Growing small plants in your backyard is one of the most rewarding things you will ever do in your life. Not to mention the money you can make. Getting started in this home based business is really easy. All you have to do is start rooting cuttings of your favorite plants (I'll show you how to do that), and you are off and running. Any time you have a few extra minutes just stick a few cuttings. Before you know it you will have thousands of plants valued at several thousand dollars.

http://thehomeworkco.com/freeplants.html

1:57 fm  

Skicka en kommentar

<< Home