onsdag, januari 11, 2006

Parrot Humor

I find it helpful to listen to written humor. I get a fresh perspective, and new ideas for structure and delivery. For a road trip last summer, I bought the New Yorker's Fierce Pajamas on CD. It was a long, lonely haul, and the series of Shouts & Murmurs essays got into my blood. I came home and wrote a piece that a critic said was the funniest thing he had ever read. By anybody. Ever. Yeah, well, no it wasn't, but it still felt A OK to hear that. I wanted to make lightening strike twice so I grabbed a CD set of George Carlin reading from Brain Droppings and his two Napalm and Silly Putty books. It had been a long time since I heard any of George's material.

Mostly what I am writing now is, "Fuck you."

As I pulled into a parking space at work this morning, I heard him offer, "Tits always look better in a pink sweater." I smiled to myself all day knowing that that asshole's remark is going to have an effect on my entire god damn wardrobe.


Heh, heh, heh. Yep. A different voice.