onsdag, januari 11, 2006

Parrot Humor

I find it helpful to listen to written humor. I get a fresh perspective, and new ideas for structure and delivery. For a road trip last summer, I bought the New Yorker's Fierce Pajamas on CD. It was a long, lonely haul, and the series of Shouts & Murmurs essays got into my blood. I came home and wrote a piece that a critic said was the funniest thing he had ever read. By anybody. Ever. Yeah, well, no it wasn't, but it still felt A OK to hear that. I wanted to make lightening strike twice so I grabbed a CD set of George Carlin reading from Brain Droppings and his two Napalm and Silly Putty books. It had been a long time since I heard any of George's material.

Mostly what I am writing now is, "Fuck you."

As I pulled into a parking space at work this morning, I heard him offer, "Tits always look better in a pink sweater." I smiled to myself all day knowing that that asshole's remark is going to have an effect on my entire god damn wardrobe.


Heh, heh, heh. Yep. A different voice.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gothamimage said...

I'll have to save my comment on George's advice, then attribute it to Don Rumsfeld in on of my future scripts. Thanks for the kind comment on my blog.

10:44 fm  

Skicka en kommentar

<< Home