fredag, september 12, 2008

The College Essay

We are down to five schools, with a pretty typical chance spread, I think. One dream school that Lex says is beyond her reach, one great school to which she will apply non-binding early admission, another that would put her in a great place and great school but not the best for her intended major, and two safety schools that I can afford.

We began working on the essay last night. Her first stab two weeks before was back to, "Now I am going to tell you everything I know about penguins" out of nerves. She hasn't written without saying anything in years. So I suggested my favorite technique, an interrogation about a critical and relevant experience. Suggested is an understatement. Insisted is the better word, and I'm constantly amazed she doesn't stab me in the back with the barbecue fork one night.

But there is a reason I'm such a pain in the ass. Sometimes it works. From "I don't remember any of it, Mom" we got five pages of reconstruction (along with two hundred, "Why do you keep asking me the same question over and over; I don't remember"), and some insight into her perspective that at the end made us sit back in our chairs and stare at each other from across the table. "Who knew?" I said. "I never thought of it that way, before. That's so neat," she said. It was like the college choice version of Law & Order, only no one would watch.

Way cool. From here I'll work backwards and forwards.

2 Comments:

Blogger Greg said...

Thank God for English 101, huh?

3:13 fm  
Blogger Alina Florence said...

Professional Essay services are meant to provide experts’ help for students to lower their academic weight. If you are feeling worried about your due dates, they should opt for assignment writing services.
https://www.professionalessayservice.co.uk/blog/10-seo-tips-for-content-optimization-you-should-definitely-try

5:22 fm  

Skicka en kommentar

<< Home