söndag, november 04, 2007

On the Subject of Fires ...

Does Peter Arnell truly believe that people don't have fire extinguishers because the latter are so ugly? Don't give us so much style credit. There are plenty of houses with crock pots, electric can openers, and over-sized 1990's era refrigerators. "Maybe people don't have fire extinguishers because they don't plan on ever having to use one," I suggested to my husband.

"Then explain to me the fish knife in our knife block and the expresso machine."

The HomeHero, via the Daily Olive
The anti-HomeHero via Murketing.

I agree with Murketing. What's to stop me from grabbing a carafe or coffee bean grinder by mistake in a frenzied panic? Does it contain anything that works? Are my kids going to know what do do besides think it is part of the precious wireless booster system and take it outside to save it from the fire?

Well, getting product specs on the actual fire extinguisher part was difficult, but it does work on flammable liquid and electrical fires, both necessary in the kitchen. As for pure power, however, would it stand up to HalGuard's MaxOut? Certainly not in promo beef:

Who says safety has to be boring! It contains a siliconized sodium bicarbonate based dry chemical with free flowing and non-caking additives. This chemical smothers fires in flammable liquids and pressurized gases and will not conduct electricity back to the operator.

Boring? Right what was I thinking. Cabinets on fire. Yawn. And I never even thought of the Three Stooges reality associated with putting out a toaster fire with water and having lightening blow me back out the windows, although the kids would like it.

Somehow, when I look at the MaxOut I think, "Whatever I am faced with, this baby's gonna help me." It's chrome and sleek and has clear instructions to review in a freak-out. Plus, it comes in red if I decide we really should have the dangerwillrobinson visual. When I look at the HomeHero I think, "Pull the plug and flllyyyppzzzz, or that sound that shaving foam makes when its all about empty. The only solution is to order one of each and give them a test run.